Completing the BSED in Newark
Students who complete the Associate in Arts (AA) degree in Elementary Teacher Education can transition to the BSED program on the Newark campus. In order to receive upper division clearance for courses beginning their second semester on campus and for student teaching, students need to satisfy the following two requirements:
- Earn a minimum GPA of 2.60
- Successfully pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators tests in reading, writing, and math according to the State of Delaware guidelines, or pass another college ready exam such as SAT or ACT earning exempt scores as established by the State of Delaware.
AA students who plan to complete their bachelor’s degree in Elementary Teacher Education (BSED) on the Newark campus will choose one of six concentrations for their program:
- English as a Second Language
- Middle School English
- Middle School Mathematics
- Middle School Science
- Middle School Social Studies
- Special Education
They will take Concentration, General Studies, and Professional Studies courses to complete the BSED degree. These courses are listed in the Elementary Teacher Education program course requirements. AA students will complete their Professional Studies courses and Concentration courses in their final two years on the Newark campus. They will have completed the General Studies courses for the BSED degree on the Georgetown campus. All Elementary Teacher Education seniors, including students who were on the Georgetown campus for their first two years, have the opportunity to student teach in southern Delaware.