School of Education
Jon Kittle is a Ph.D. in Education student specializing in Literacy in the School of Education at the University of Delaware (UD). His research interests include language and literacy development and instruction for multilingual learners (MLs).
Jon’s research interests stem from his experiences serving as a Peace Corps volunteer in the Comarca Ngäbe-Buglé, Panamá; serving as an AmeriCorps Delaware reading interventionist with Spanish-speaking children; and working as a faculty member with diverse learners at UD’s English Language Institute. Through these experiences, Jon saw how language and literacy can act as a barrier toward accessing knowledge and information, communicating effectively, and pursuing academic and personal goals. Jon hopes to develop advanced knowledge in MLs’ literacy development and instruction by conducting and translating rigorous research that considers MLs’ unique language and literacy challenges and that empowers MLs to successfully use language and literacy as a resource in their daily lives.
Jon is currently a research assistant under Dr. Steve Amendum working on an Institute of Education Sciences-funded research grant to evaluate the impact of the Developing Consultation and Collaboration Skills (DCCS) professional development program on teacher practices related to MLs’ language and literacy skills. In addition, he is working with Drs. Steve Amendum and Christina Budde on a project related to the science of reading and reading instruction for MLs.
- M.A., Teaching English as a Second Language, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 2019
- B.A. History, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 2018
- Minor, Economics, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 2018
- Graduate Research Assistant, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2021–present
- Faculty Member, English Language Institute, University of Delaware, 2019–2020
- Substitute Instructor, English Language Institute, University of Delaware, 2018–2020
- Student Instructor, English Language Institute, University of Delaware, 2017–2019
- Academic Transitions Cohort Program Assistant, English Language Institute, University of Delaware, 2017–2019
- Academic Transitions Student Orientation Team Lead, English Language Institute, University of Delaware, 2017–2019
- AmeriCorps Reading Interventionist, Wilmington Manor Elementary School, New Castle, DE, 2015–2017
- Amendum, S., & Kittle, J. (2022, January 14). What is “the science of reading” for multilingual learners?
[Conference presentation]. Las Americas ASPIRA Academy Biliteracy Conference, Newark, DE,
- Amendum, S., Budde, C., & Kittle, J. M. (2021, December 1-3). Toward a science of reading for
multilingual learners. In L. Tortorelli (Chair), Broadening the science of reading discussion: Topics
that warrant additional attention [Symposium]. Literacy Research Association, Atlanta, GA,
- Kittle, J. (2018, November 17). Cross-language transfer of phonological awareness in Spanish-speaking
children: A narrative review [Paper presentation]. PennTESOL-East Fall Conference, Philadelphia,
PA, United States.