School of Education
English as a Second Language Course of Study
Course of Study Coordinator: Scott Stevens
The University of Delaware offers a post-Masters or additional certification Course of Study in English as a Second Language for certified teachers. This program is designed for teachers who are certified in a subject area and interested in intensive professional development leading to additional certification. Teachers who complete this Course of Study are eligible for certification in English to Speakers of Other Languages in the state of Delaware. For those who have a Master’s degree, this program may lead to a “plus 15″ salary increment in Delaware.
Course of Study in English as a Second Language (15 credits)
- EDUC 672: Teaching English as a Second Language (3 credits)
- EDUC 740: Literacy Instruction for English Language Learners (3 credits)
- LING 676: Second Language Acquisition (3 credits)
- LING 677: The Structure of English (3 credits)
- FLLT: 624: Second Language Testing (3 credits)
Additional Teaching English as a Second Language Programs
In partnership with the English Language Institute, the School of Education offers a Master’s degree in Teaching English as a Second Language.
- M.A. in Teaching English as a Second Language. This program is designed for prospective students with bachelor’s degree and prepares them to teach in classrooms with English Language Learners. This program also prepares students to teach English as a second language in colleges and language institutes in the U.S. and abroad.
- M.A. in Teaching English as a Second Language 4+1 Program. The 4+1 track of the Master’s program allows qualified undergraduate English majors at the University of Delaware to achieve their Bachelor’s degree in English and their Master’s degree in TESL at the end of 5 years.
For more information about either of these programs, please see the above links or contact program coordinator Scott Stevens at email@example.com.
To enroll in this course of study or for additional information, please contact Scott Stevens, the program coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the program coordinator and/or instructor of the course approves the enrollment, you may register for courses through the Office of Professional and Continuing Studies as a Continuing Education Student. Please click here to complete the necessary forms and registration process. Formal admission to the university is not required.
Upon completion of the course of study leading to certification, the candidate should complete the online application for certification through the Delaware Educator Data System (DEEDS) and send an official transcript, showing completion of the courses, directly to the Delaware Department of Education.
Upon completion of the course of study leading to a salary increment, the candidate should complete the online application for a salary increment through the Delaware Educator Data System (DEEDS) and send an official transcript, showing completion of the courses, to their school district for approval. Upon approval by the school district, the information will be forwarded to the Delaware Department of Education.