School of Education Facts
The School of Education within the College of Education and Human Development offers a number of programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels that prepare students to become effective educators who make a difference for students, schools and communities. The faculty are nationally and internationally recognized experts who engage in research that informs the field of education.
By the Numbers
- 54 faculty members
- Approximately 580 undergraduate students in the Elementary Teacher Education major, making it the seventh largest major at UD
- Approximately 350 graduate students in five master’s/specialist programs and three doctoral programs
- The School of Education graduate program is ranked 35th in the country by U.S. News & World Report among 376 education graduate schools.
- Faculty have been awarded approximately $22.5 million in grants from organizations such as the Institutes of Education Sciences, National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation and the State of Delaware Department of Education.
- University of Delaware Excellence in Undergraduate Advising Award 2015 – Laura Eisenman, Associate Professor
- The American Educational Association’s Special Interest Group for Research in Mathematics Education Early Career Publication Award 2015 – Charles Hohensee, Assistant Professor
- University of Connecticut’s Harris Kahn Memorial Scholarship Award 2015 – Joshua Wilson, Assistant Professor.
- American Educational Research Association Special Interest Group for Research in Mathematics Education Senior Scholar Award 2015 – James Hiebert, Robert J. Barkley Professor.
- James McKeen Cattell Fellow Award 2015 – Roberta Golinkoff, H. Rodney Sharp Chair, has been chosen to receive the Association for Psychological Science’s 2015 James McKeen Cattell Award. This award honors her for her lifetime of outstanding contributions to applied psychological research. She shares this award with her colleague, Temple University’s Kathy Hirsh-Pasek.
- American Educational Research Journal section on Teaching, Learning, and Human Development Outstanding Reviewer 2014 – Amanda Jansen, Associate Professor.
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators Early Career Award 2014 – Amanda Jansen, Associate Professor.
- International Society for Intelligence Research’s Lifetime Contributions Award 2013 – Linda Gottfredson, Professor.
- Kappa Alpha Theta Fraternity‘s Ten Outstanding Faculty Members 2012-2013 – Gary Allison, Assistant Professor.
- University of Delaware Excellence in Advising Award 2014 – Laura Glass, Associate Director and Assistant Professor and 2013 – Marsha Baumeister, Assistant Professor.
- University of Delaware Excellence in Teaching Award 2013 – Gary Allison, Assistant Professor.
- Wisniewski Award 2013 – The Society of Professors of Education selected University of Delaware Mathematics Education Undergraduate Program for Elementary Teachers as the recipient of this prestigious award for a teacher education program. The purpose of the award is to recognize an institution that has made “singularly significant contributions to the theory and practice of teacher education.” The School of Education faculty who created and implement this program are Dawn Berk, Jim Hiebert, Charles Hohensee, Brad Glass, Mandy Jansen and Anne Morris.
Student and Alumni Recognition
- National Social Studies Supervisors Association Mel Miller Outstanding Social Studies Leader Award 2016 – Nicholas Baker, Ed.D. ’10
- National Association of School Psychologist Education and Research Trust 2015 – Joy Taylor, enrolled in M.A. program in School Psychology.
- Lindblad Expeditions and National Geographic Grosvenor Teacher Fellows 2015 – Teagan Thomas, ETE ’13.
- Delaware Geography Teacher of the Year 2015 – Katelyn Brown, ETE ’06, M.I., ’14, enrolled in the Ed.D. program.
- New Book 2014 – Gregory J. Boyle, Ph.D. ’84 published a new book entitled Measures of Personality and Social Psychological Constructs.
- Brava! Award 2014 – Beverly Stewart, M.Ed. ’84.
- Presidential Citation for Outstanding Achievement Award 2015 – Emmanuel Caulk, Jr. ’02 is the superintendent of Portland Public Schools in Portland, Maine.
- American Educational Research Association Dissertation Grant 2013 – Akisha Jones, Ph.D. ’15 was awarded $20,000 to work on her dissertation entitled, “A Multilevel Structural Analysis of Predictors of Urban Teacher Effectiveness.”
- American Chemical Society Delaware Section, High School Teacher of the Year Award 2013 – John Scali, Ed.D. ’12.
- Delaware Bio Educator of the Year Award 2014 – Brian Gross, M.I. ’13.
- Hope Street Group National Teacher Fellow 2014 – Melissa Simpson Tracy, M.Ed. ’10. This program provides fellows with rigorous training, opportunity to network with teachers across the country, and participation in national conversations.
- National Distinguished Principals 2012 – Dan Shelton, Ed.D. ’07 and Byron Murphy, M.Ed. ’95 were nominated, representing Delaware’s Elementary and Secondary schools.
- National History Teacher of the Year 2013 – Jill Szymanski, Elementary Teacher Education ’97 and M.Ed. ’02.
- Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching 2013 – Timothy Dalby, Elementary Teacher Education ’99 and M.Ed. ’11 and 2012 – Mary Pinkston, M.Ed. ’95. This award is the nation’s highest honor for math and science teachers.
- Terrel H. Bell Award for Outstanding School Leadership 2013 – Jennifer Nauman, Elementary Teacher Education ’99 is principal at Cape Henlopen’s Shields Elementary School and is one of seven principals to receive this national award.
- Presidential Citation for Outstanding Achievement 2012 – Karen Stout, Ed.D. ’95 is president of Montgomery County Community College.
- National Superintendent of the Year finalist 2012 – Susan Bunting, Ed.D. ’96, superintendent, Indian River School District.
The School of Educations programs are nationally accredited by the following professional organizations.
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC)
- International Reading Association (IRA)
- National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)
- National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)