School of Education
School of Education
Christy Metzger is a Ph.D. in Education student specializing in the Learning Sciences in the School of Education at the University of Delaware. Her current research interests are examining how college introductory science courses can be redesigned to give students more authentic scientific experiences and how the structure of classes impacts the gender gap in Physics majors.
Prior to pursuing her doctoral degree, she earned her master’s of teaching in Secondary Science from Towson University and her bachelor’s of arts in Physics from Gettysburg College. She served as an adjunct faculty member at Towson University, teaching introductory Physics courses for the past seven years.
Prior to pursuing her degree at Towson, she taught for five years as a high school Physics teacher and spent time as an online physics instructor for Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth.
- M.A.T., Secondary Science, Towson University, Towson, MD, 2007
- B. A., Physics, and minor, Mathematics, Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, PA, 2006
- Graduate Research Assistant, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2021–present
- Adjunct Faculty Instructor, Department of Physics, Astronomy, and Geosciences, Towson University, 2014–2021
- Physics Teacher, Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth, 2012–2020
- Physics Teacher and Physics Department Head, Winters Mill High School, Westminster, MD, 2008–2012
- Physics Teacher, Winters Mill High School, Westminster, MD, 2007–2008
Honors and Awards
- Knowles Teaching Fellow, Knowles Teaching Initiative, 2006
- Presidential Scholar, Gettysburg College
- Rulli, C. & Metzger, C (2010). Using portfolios to promote reflective practice in new teachers, Presentation at the National Science Teaching Association Spring Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Mossgrove, J., Rostock, R., Rulli, C. & Metzger, C. (2009). A modified approach to lesson study for secondary mathematics and science teachers. Presentation at the Chicago Lesson Study Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Metzger, C. & Shirey, K (2010). Managing Differentiation. Presentation at the Knowles Teacher Initiative Summer Conference.
- Rulli, C. & Metzger, C (2009). Chicago Lesson Study Group Annual Conference. Presentation at the Knowles Teacher Initiative Summer Conference Poster Session.
- Gipson-Nahman, J. & Metzger, C (2007). Smithsonian Energy and Motion Workshop. Presentation at the Knowles Teacher Initiative Summer Conference Poster Session.