Teaching is a wonderful profession where you can make a difference in the lives of children and their families. The School of Education offers the Elementary Teacher Education major where students are prepared to become elementary, middle school and/or special education teachers. This major accepts internal transfer students from other majors on a rolling basis when the following requirements are met.
- Complete at least one semester at UD.
- Earn a minimum overall GPA of 2.60.
- Successfully complete the Stewards of Children program and submit the certificate of completion. This program can be completed online at the Stewards of Children Online Training Program web page. The online training costs $10 and takes approximately 2 hours to complete.
- Successfully pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators tests in reading, writing, and math according to the State of Delaware guidelines. Information about the guidelines, possible exemptions for the reading and math tests, and how to register for the test is available online on the Praxis web page. Please note that there is no exemption for the writing test and it takes approximately 4 weeks to receive the writing test score.
- Complete the application. Students will select their concentration on this application. Special education has a limited number of seats available, so students interested in this concentration need to complete an additional essay as part of the application and may be put on a waiting list for this concentration. The application is available online or can be obtained from Vickie Lucas in 134C Willard.
- Have your student conduct records (if any) reviewed. Please note that serious violations or sanctions may impact acceptance to the Elementary Teacher Education major. Completion of this application serves as notice that staff in the School of Education will contact the Office of Student Conduct to inquire about conduct records.
EDUC 240, 247, and 258 and MATH 251 are open to students not in the ETE major, so students can take these courses before being admitted to the major. Students must pass the MATH 251 prerequisite exam before enrolling in that course. Information about this exam is available on the exam web page.
Students interested in transferring into the ETE major should attend one of the interest meetings listed in the table below and/or meet with Vickie Lucas. There is no need to register to attend an interest meeting and Vickie can be contacted at email@example.com or 831-8933. The application to switch to the major can be given to Vickie Lucas via email or in person at 134C Willard Hall.
|February 18||4:00||324 Willard|
|March 17||4:00||217 Willard|
|April 13||4:00||104 Willard|
|April 21||4:00||217 Willard|