Secondary Mathematics in the Moment Longitudinal Engagement Study (SMiLES), School of Education
Ethan Smith is a Ph.D. in Education student specializing in Mathematics Education in the School of Education at the University of Delaware. His current research interests involve understanding how teachers can afford multimodal opportunities for students to navigate language demands in the secondary mathematics classroom.
Ethan worked in education in rural Mississippi from 2010-2019, first as a middle school math teacher and then as a math specialist. He was also a founding member of the Mississippi Mathematics Specialists Network (serving as the Mission Statement Chair) and worked as the Social Media Coordinator for the Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics. During his time in Mississippi, he completed a master’s degree in education at the University of Mississippi, with a capstone project focused on the role of teacher practice on student motivation towards school mathematics.
- M.Ed., Education, University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS
- Graduate Research Assistant, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2019–present
- Social Media Coordinator, Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Mission Statement Chair and Elections Committee Member, Mississippi Mathematics Specialists Network
- Teacher Licensure Advocacy Task Force Member, Mississippi Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
- Network Improvement Community member, CS4MS (Computer Science for Mississippi)
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Service Award for Dedication to Educational Excellence, Holly Springs Rotary Club
- Teacher of the Term, Byhalia Middle School, 2012
- Teacher of the Year Finalist, Byhalia Middle School, 2013
- Smith, E. Connected Literacy Practices in the Illustrative Mathematics Curriculum. Accepted to the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Research Symposium, Spring 2020. (Conference cancelled.)
- Smith, E. Leading with Literacy: A Holistic Take on Literacy in Math. Presented at the University of Mississippi Center for Mathematics and Science Education 8th Annual Mathematics Specialists Conference, November 2018.
- Smith, E. Stop, Collaborate and Listen: Infusing Literacy in Math. Presented at Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics Annual Conference, October 2018.
- Smith, E. Bridging the Gap Between MAAP, the Standards, and Holistic Literacy in Math. Presented at Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics Annual Conference, October 2017.
- Smith, E. Supporting Student Sense-Making with the Mathematical Modeling Cycle and Number Talks. Presented for secondary mathematics department of Leland School District, January 2017.