- Office: 213H Willard Hall
- Fax: 302-831-4110
Laura T. Eisenman is a professor in the School of Education at the University of Delaware. She teaches graduate and undergraduate courses about special education, the transition to adult life for students with disabilities, and a senior seminar on disability studies. Her research interests include understanding the social and community experiences of young adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities, exploring the meaning of disability in educational contexts, and the integration of disability studies perspectives in interdisciplinary pre-service professional programs. She is co-editor of a multi-disciplinary collection of essays by faculty, students, and professional staff called Negotiating Disability: Disclosure in Higher Education (2017).
She is a faculty member in the master’s program in exceptional children and youth, the PhD in Education specialization in sociocultural and community-based approaches, and the EdD in educational leadership. She is also affiliated with the University’s Center for Disabilities Studies where she is an advisor and faculty coordinator for the undergraduate disability studies minor and Access:Ability Scholars programs.
Prior to working at UD, she received her doctorate in special education from Vanderbilt University and a master’s degree in rehabilitation counseling from the University of South Florida. She previously worked as a counselor and administrator in community programs for adults with disabilities.
- Ph.D., Education and Human Development, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 1997
- M.A., Rehabilitation Counseling, University of South Florida-Tampa, Tampa, FL, 1981
- B.A., Rehabilitation Counseling, University of South Florida-Tampa, Tampa, FL, 1981
- Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2019–present
- Faculty Coordinator and Advisor, Disability Studies Minor, University of Delaware, 2004–present
- Associate Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2004–2019
- Assistant Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 1997–2003
- Technology Assistant, and Research and Teaching Assistant, Department of Special Education, Vanderbilt University, 1994–1997
- Eisenman, L. (PI). New Postsecondary Education Options in Delaware (Transition and Postsecondary Programs for Students with Intellectual Disabilities Model Demonstration). US Department of Education, Office of Postsecondary Education, 2010–2016. ($2.1 million)
- Eisenman, L. (Senior Personnel). Evaluating the Implementation and Impact of Research in Disability Education Projects. National Science Foundation, 2011- 2014.
- Eisenman, L. (co-Project Director). Transition Partnership Project/Community-Based Education Alliance Red Clay Consolidated School District; Delaware Autism Program/Christina School District; New Castle County Vo-Tech School District; and University of Delaware Center for Disabilities Studies, 2000–2009. (combined grants of +$250,000)
Recent Professional Awards
- Mary Custis Straughn Higher Education Disability Advocacy Award, University of Delaware, 2017
- Distinguished Faculty Award, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2017
- Excellence in Undergraduate Advising and Mentoring Award, University of Delaware, 2015