School of Education
Special Education Options
Students in the special education concentration who enter UD in Spring 2013 or earlier must complete one of the following options.
Option 1: Focus Area
Students complete 15 credits in one of the following focus areas: English, mathematics, science, social studies, or urban education. Students do not their declare focus area in UDSIS and the focus area does not appear on their transcript. The list of courses that will satisfy this option is available online.
Taking 15 or more credits in English, mathematics, science, or social studies may prepare students for taking the Praxis II middle school test in their focus area. Students who pass a Praxis II test in a content area may become eligible for teacher certification in this area, depending on the state. Students could select coursework so that it addresses the content covered on the tests.
Option 2: Disabilities Studies Minor
The minor in Disabilities Studies provides a unique interdisciplinary opportunity for students to learn about the policies, services, and systems that support the full participation of people with disabilities in all aspects of community life. The approach of the minor is that disability is a natural part of the human condition. The minor includes the following courses:
- EDUC 230: Introduction to Exceptional Children (“double counts” for the ETE major and DS minor)
- HEPP 465: Senior Seminar in Disabilities Studies
- IFST/PSYC/SOCI 270: Families and Developmental Disabilities
- Human development elective
- Social systems elective
- Service delivery elective
Option 3: Human Development and Family Studies Minor
The minor in Human Development and Family Studies provides students with the opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of human development, families, relationships, and diverse communities. The minor includes the following courses:
- HDFS 201: Life Span Development
- HDFS 202: Foundations of Family Studies
- Human Development elective
- Family Studies elective
- Relationships elective
- Development Within Diverse Communities elective – EDUC 258 and 259 satisfy this elective requirement and will “double count” towards the ETE major and the HDFS minor. Students do not need to take an additional Development Within Diverse Communities elective to complete this minor.