Online Special Education Course of Study
Program coordinator: Kristen Ritchey
For Delaware teachers pursuing K-12 Special Education certification:
- Meet requirements for coursework in special education for Delaware certification
- Complete in one year through part-time coursework
- Offered 100% online, courses available year-round
- Delaware teachers may also pursue the Online M.Ed. in Exceptional Children and Youth
A course of study is available to Delaware teachers who wish to complete coursework required for additional certifications in special education in an online format. This course of study requires 15 credits and can be completed in one academic year (spring, summer, fall). Certified Delaware teachers can complete the courses for Teacher of Exceptional Children Grades K-12.
Teacher of Exceptional Children Grades K-12
- EDUC 680: Educational Evaluation: Exceptional Children and Youth
- EDUC 681: Techniques for Behavior Change and Positive Behavior Support
- EDUC 757: Diagnosis and Instruction in Literacy: Grades 4-12.
- EDUC 674: Special Education Instruction and Curriculum: Secondary OR
- EDUC 754: Special Education Instruction and Curriculum: Elementary
One of the following:
- EDUC 652: Introduction to Assistive Technology
- EDUC 673: School-to-Adult: Life Transitions and Disability
- EDUC 682: Special Issues in Special Education
- EDUC 745: Collaborative Teaming in Special Education
Students can view the view the 2020-21 tentative schedule of courses.
To enroll the above courses of study or for additional information, please contact program coordinator Dr. Kristen Ritchey. Once the program coordinator and/or instructor of the course approves the enrollment, you may register for courses through the Office of Professional and Continuing Studies as a continuing education student. Formal admission to the university is not required.
Upon completion of the course of study leading to certification, the candidate should complete the online application for certification through the Delaware Educator Data System (DEEDS) and send an official transcript, showing completion of the courses, directly to the Delaware Department of Education (DDOE).
NOTE: The state of Delaware also requires that general education teachers who complete the K-12 Special Education Course of Study for certification must take and pass the Praxis Content test in Special Education (#5354). Praxis scores must be sent directly to DDOE by the testing service.
Upon completion of the course of study leading to a salary increment, the candidate should complete the online application for a salary increment through the Delaware Educator Data System (DEEDS) and send an official transcript, showing completion of the courses, to their school district for approval. Upon approval by the school district, the information will be forwarded to the Delaware Department of Education.
Visit courses of study offered to certified teachers for complete information on all available courses of study.