Applications for all graduate programs at the University of Delaware are done online through the Office of Graduate and Professional Education. Applicants can begin the online application, save it and return later to continue working. However, applicants must press the “Submit” button in the application system by the deadline date before it can be reviewed by the faculty admissions committee.
Completed applications contain:
- The on-line application form.
- A personal statement or essay. The purpose of this statement is to introduce yourself to the admission committee and discuss your academic and career interests and goals as they stand now, and how you think the graduate program aligns with your interests. Some programs have specific essay questions to be answered and those questions are outlined online.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation. Recommendations must be submitted electronically. You may find more information about submitting recommendations online.
- Transcripts of all previous academic work at the undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) level. Please note that the Mathematics Education specialization requires the applicant to hold a master’s degree in mathematics or a related field. Applicants may upload unofficial copies of their transcripts and if admitted, all transcripts will be verified by the Office of Graduate and Professional Education. Applicants who previously attended the University of Delaware still need to upload an unofficial transcript, but do not need to provide official transcripts for verification. Please do not send any transcripts to the School of Education.
- Students whose native language is not English must submit official score reports of the TOEFL or IELTS test. The minimum acceptable score for the paper-based TOEFL is 600; the minimum acceptable score for the Internet-based TOEFL is 100. The minimum acceptable score for the IELTS is 7.0.
Please do not send any documents to the School of Education. All materials should be uploaded into the electronic application.
Test Scores and Deadlines
Test scores, such as GRE and Praxis scores, are required in some programs. In addition, each program has its own deadlines and admission term. Please see the table below, and the individual program pages for specific requirements.
|Program||Application Deadline and Admission Term||Program Coordinator||Admissions Test||Full- or Part-Time||Need to be a Teacher?||Certification Available?||Other Application Requirements|
|Ph.D. in Education||Dec. 15 (Fall)||Kathleen Minke||GRE||Full-time||No||No||Specific application question.|
|Ph.D. in Economic Education||Dec. 15 (Fall)||Saul Hoffman||GRE||Full-time||No||No||No|
|Ed.D. in Educational Leadership||Feb. 28 (Fall)||Jacquelyn Wilson||None||Part-time||Some||Some*||Specific application question.|
|M.A. in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)||Apr. 1 (Fall)||Scott Stevens||GRE||Full-time preferred||No||Yes||Specific application question.|
|M.A. in TESL 4+1 Program||Nov. 1 of junior year (Fall)||Scott Stevens||None||Full-time||No||Yes||Specific application question. Only English majors at UD are eligible.|
|M.A. in School Psychology||Jan. 15 (Fall)||Kathleen Minke||GRE||Full-time||No||Yes||Interview, specific application question.|
|M.Ed. in Educational Technology||
Nov. 1 (Spring)
Apr. 1 (Fall)
|M.Ed. in Exceptional Children and Youth||
Nov. 1 (Spring)
Apr. 1 (Fall)
|Laura Eisenman||None||Part-time||Yes||No||Specific application question.|
|M.Ed. in Exceptional Children and Youth – Masters Plus Certification Program (MPCP)||Feb. 15 (Summer)||Laura Eisenman||Praxis Core||Full-time||No||Yes||Specific application question.|
|M.Ed. in Exceptional Children and Youth-4+1 Program||Dec. 15 of junior year (Fall)||Bridget Duda||Praxis Core||Full-time||No||Yes||Only ECE, ETE, or secondary ed majors at UD are eligible. Specific application question.|
|M.Ed. in Teacher Leadership||
July 15 (Fall A)
Sept. 9 (Fall B)
Dec. 29 (Spring A)
Feb. 23 (Spring B)
April 27 (Summer A)
|None||Part-time||Yes||No||Specific application question.|
* School Leader III certification is available to some Ed.D. students who meet specific criteria. Check with the Ed.D. program coordinator.