- Office: 017A Willard Hall
- Fax: 302-831-4110
Dr. Al Cavalier is an associate professor in the School of Education at the University of Delaware. His graduate education and training was in psychology, specializing in developmental disabilities and child development under an NICHHD fellowship. Prior to UD, he served as Program Coordinator of Partlow State School, where he was responsible for overseeing the implementation of behavior support plans for approximately 450 children and adolescents with intellectual disabilities. As Program Director of the Warrior Center, a developmental center for 192 adolescents with developmental disabilities, he designed and supervised behavioral programs and automated teaching environments. Following this position, he was Director of the Bioengineering Program at the National Headquarters of the Association for Retarded Citizens, where he was involved in the design and application of new assistive technologies for persons with intellectual disabilities.
At UD, Dr. Cavalier has assisted in the design and implementation of the Delaware statewide Positive Behavior Support Initiative. He is a member of the Governor’s Advisory Council for Exceptional Citizen, with a special focus on disproportionality in student suspension and expulsion rates, the adequacy of adapted physical education services, and special education underrepresentation in charter schools. His research interests are in the areas of school discipline practices within positive behavior support systems, instructional supports for children with autism spectrum disorders, and assistive technology for behavioral and instructional support. Dr. Cavalier currently teaches pre-service and graduate courses in positive behavior supports, classroom management, and critical issues in special education.
- Ph.D., Psychology, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL, 1980
- M.A., Psychology, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL, 1977
- B.A., Psychology, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, 1972
- Associate Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 1989–present
- Co-Director, Summer Institute in Educational and Assistive Technology, University of Delaware, 1990–1999
- Director, Center for Assistive and Instructional Technology, University of Delaware, 1991–1998
- Coordinator, Special Education Technology Laboratory, University of Delaware, 1998–2008